Monday 16 January 2012

Initial Tests

I didn't know what to expect when I posted a link to my blog yesterday, but the support I have received has been overwhelming - so thank you xxx

I have had a few emails from others who have faced similar struggles but haven't reached the stage of having tests yet. So I thought it would it would be helpful to talk a little about my experience so far.

It can be really daunting to make the decision to seek help. From experience I found very few people openly discuss having faced fertility issues and there can be a stigma attached to what is often seen as a very private topic. It was only when I started to make comments on my Facebook and started receiving messages from others I began to feel I wasn't alone.

I was lucky in that I had other blogs and online friends to ask questions about the process of getting help and the tests I could potentially need. Being able to ask these questions (and receive honest answers) made it much easier.

My first step was a visit to my GP, I went on my own for the first visit but my husband has attended every other appointment with me. The first visit just involved a general chat with GP about my cycles and how long we had been trying. I have a diary I note my cycles in so we could review my dates etc. From here I was sent for a general blood test and was referred for a pelvic scan to check for cysts and to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my uterus. The referral took around 6 weeks to come through.

*** TMI warning ***

The scan was an internal one, which I was a little apprehensive about, but actually was not any worse than a smear test. It didn't hurt at all and was over in a few minutes.

I revisited the GP for the results, which came back clear and at this point I was given a referral to see the fertility clinic. For this I was given a letter and was able to book my appointment online. There was an eight week wait for this appointment.

I had my first fertility clinic appointment last week. On arrival I had my weight, height and BMI checked by a nurse - they have to check your BMI as certain treatments will not work if your BMI is over 30 - and then had a meeting with a fertility doctor. Again we reviewed my diary of cycles, test results and generally discussed our situation and history. The original blood test taken did not account for all the readings required so I had a second test whilst at the hospital. We also arranged for my hubby to have his "contribution" tested over the next 2 months.

For those ladies with a partner worrying about this, you take home a bag with a sample pot and letter with a telephone number. You call to make an appointment to drop the sample to the hospital (they only take so many a day). The sample is done at home and must be dropped off at the hospital within 1 hour of being "provided". You don't have to see anyone you just have to make sure your sample is there at the right time.

The doctor advised I would need to come back to see the consultant, who would most likely prescribe clomid at that point to force my body to ovulate regularly. The waiting time for a consultant is 4 months and I have my appointment in May.

The tests so far haven't been particularly invasive or painful, in fact the worst part is the waiting game between appointments.

Hopefully this information might provide some reassurance about the process.

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment