Saturday 20 July 2013

IVF - Egg Collection & Fertilisation

As you will know, I had my first egg collection yesterday!

It was certainly an experience, but not for the reasons I expected.

I had my collection booked for 11am so had to be at the unit for 10am.  We arrived at about 9.40am and were called in just before 10am. 

I was shown to a little recovery room with a bed (the ones they can move you around in), given a hospital gown to change into and told the doctor would come in shortly to do my consent. 

I changed into the gown and waited literally a minute for the doctor, he sat on the bed with me to check my details and then said to me to sign the form, which basically advised of the very, very rare risk of piercing my bladder or bowel.

Once he had gone the theatre nurse came to take me through to the theatre - I was really surprised as I had anticipated having to wait until 11am and by this point we had only been in the room about 10 mins.

Once in theatre I had to lay on an identical bed to the one from my room and put my legs into padded stirrups which then covered my feet. Almost like wearing padded boots, I am not sure what these were for? Maybe to stop me kicking the doctor once sedated?.

The  anaesthesiologist put a cannula in my hand and I asked him if I would be asleep, he joked and said not to worry he is very liberal with the drugs.  The cannula didn't really hurt, just felt like a blood test. 

Once ready, the nurse knocked on the hatch into the theatre and introduced me to the embryologist who would be dealing with my eggs. They did another data check of my details (they take security very seriously, which is reassuring). 

The anaesthesiologist then put an oxygen mask on me and said he would start with a painkiller that would make me feel lightheaded, while he did that they dimmed the lights. Literally not even 30 seconds later I could feel the drug working, I remember saying wow that works quickly and then nothing.......


....... until I woke up in recovery!

When I came around I asked the guy how long I had been out and he said about 10 mins, I felt like it was only seconds but like I had a really good sleep! 

He checked all my stats and blood pressure etc. He then gave me some tablets to take and a drink (I assume painkillers). He asked me if I wanted a cup of tea, which I did and then wheeled me back to my recovery room. I couldn't believe how quickly I was fully awake after being so deeply sedated. 

I honestly didn't think it would all happen so quickly, it seemed too easy. 

They gave me tea and biscuits, which tasted like the best biscuits ever after not being able to eat all morning. 

Then the nurse came to talk me through the next couple of days and what I should do (rest) and when to take the delightful pessaries. 

She couldn't take the cannula out of my hand until I had been able to walk to the loo and pee. I was able to get dressed and managed that straight away. I didn't really have "pain" as such, just felt really bruised inside. 

Not long after the embryologist came in to tell us we had 14 eggs, which I was delighted with as they had thought 10-11 at my last scan.  Obviously some will not be mature enough to use, she told us usually about 80% are good enough and then they will perform ICSI on them all and watch them overnight to see how many fertilise and would call me the next day.

Not long after this I was allowed to go home.  I felt really good until about 10 mins into the taxi drive to the train station, by which point I was dry heaving and felt really sick.  I was sick twice at the station, once on the train and once in a bush next to the bus stop!  So an eventful and highly embarrassing journey home!  Neither of us drive and I honestly thought I could cope with pain for the train ride, but I didn't count on being so sick.  If we have to do this again I will make sure someone can take us, I honestly didn't think it would be an issue.

When I got home I was sick until about 4pm, I phoned the hospital to check whether this was normal and had to chuck the phone at Rick halfway through the call so I could run to be sick.  As I didn't have any pain or bleeding it was nothing to worry about, simply my reaction to the sedation. 

I managed to eat half a piece of toast and then nap for about an hour. I felt better then so Rick made me some crackers, which I kept down and later some beans on toast. I felt absolutely fine once the sickness stopped. 

Rick was so amazing, he looked after me all day and got me some beautiful flowers and said he was proud of me. It can't have been easy to watch, I love him so much xxx

I woke up at 7am this morning because I was excited for the call, even though they said it would be before 12pm. 

They just called and............12 out of 14 fertilised!

So emotional right now!  They said that all 14 were suitable for use and 12 fertilising is great!

They are going to call me first thing Monday to tell me whether I will go in for transfer the same day or Wednesday. They will make the decision on how many to put back on the day depending on the quality - either 1 or 2.

Xxxxxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment